LOCK UP STAGE INSPECTIONS
Lock up stage inspections are typically completed when the external wall cladding is constructed or fixed to the frame, the roof covering is fixed, the flooring is laid and the external windows and doors are fixed – even if the windows and doors are only temporary (Section 40 of the Domestic Building Contracts and Tribunal Act 1995).
At the lock up stage, Finalinspect closely inspects and checks a wide range of items including but not limited to the following:
Around the home – Finalinspect will thoroughly check:
- All of the external wall cladding (e.g. bricks, rendered board and timber weatherboards etc.) and roof covering is fixed and all external doors and external windows are fixed (even if those doors or windows are only temporary).
- The nailing of eaves quad and eaves sheets.
- The eaves line against the brickwork line.
- All different types of roofing materials (e.g. Concrete and terracotta roof tiles, Colorbond steel sheets, slate etc.) have been correctly installed and fixed in position.
- The pointing of all ridge and hip roof tiles is consistent in terms of colour and texture and there are no cracks in the pointing.
- All fascia boards, bargeboards and gutters are correctly aligned and fixed in position
- There is adequate fall applied to the gutters around the house and the garage. Water should not pond in gutters.
- There is no damage to specially coated surfaces (e.g. Colorbond roofs, gutters, fascia boards and downpipes). Note – if there are any deep scratches, dents or perforations in the surface of any of the above Colorbond building materials, the relevant manufacturer’s warranty is usually deemed void (i.e. not valid).
- All brickwork to ensure that it is level, plumb, straight, square and that all articulation joints, flashings and weepholes have been correctly placed and installed. The mortar is checked for strength.
- All brickwork is properly placed on the concrete slab and that it does not overhang the slab.
- There are no cracked, chipped or broken bricks.
- There are no cracks in, chips out of or scratches in rendered surfaces or wall cladding.
- There is adequate clearance between windows and abutting brick sills.
- All different types of external wall cladding and lining (e.g. Hebel panels, cement sheet panels and timber weatherboards etc.) have been correctly fitted and fixed in position.
- The gaps between all window and door frames and the abutting brickwork is not excessive.
- The alignment and operation of all external doors and windows.
- Locks are fitted to all external facing doors.
- There is no damage to window frames, door frames, door handles or locks and the glass fitted to doors and windows has not been scratched, chipped or cracked.
- There are no obvious entry points for birds that can nest in roof spaces above warm and hot downlights and start fires.
- Finalinspect will also flag all other defects around the house even though they do not strictly form part of the lock up stage works. The benefit is that all defects around the house are highlighted earlier rather than at the later stages of construction. The earlier that building defects are identified and brought to the attention of the builder, the quicker and more cost effectively they can usually be rectified.
Inside the home – Finalinspect will thoroughly check:
- The ceilings, cornice and walls are level, plumb, straight and square (if fixed to the frame at the time of the lock up stage inspection).
- All architraves and skirting boards are fitted and fixed in position level, plumb, straight and square (if fixed to the frame at the time of the lock up stage inspection).
- Timber / particle board flooring is properly fixed and does not move or squeak.
- The concrete slab has not been damaged (e.g. cracks in the slab and chips out of the slab).
- The insulation wrap around the frame has not been torn (this can only be inspected before the plasterboard is fitted to the frame inside the home).
- All plumbing service pipes are firmly and correctly secured to the frame and the structural integrity of the frame has not been undermined in any way (the fixing of the plumbing service pipes to the frame can only be inspected before the plasterboard is fitted to the frame inside the home).
- The electrical wiring for correct location of light switches and GPOs etc (the electrical wiring for correct location of light switches and GPOs etc can only be inspected before the plasterboard is fitted to the frame inside the home).
- The correct location of plumbing waste outlets.
- The shower bases for level and correct installation
- The windows for level and flush with plasterwork when installed.
If you would like to talk to us about Lock Up Stage Stage Inspections or would like to arrange a completely independent Lock Up Stage Inspection, call us now on 0408 132 152.